Friday, May 22, 2015

rhetoric

I would agree Covino and Jolliffe that rhetoric is primarily verbal or at least that the most recognizable form of rhetoric, but it is certainly not the only form. Rhetoric also be conveyed with body langues or actions. If you really want to persuade or motivate an individual or a group I've always thought that leading with your actions is the best way to make someone really buy into what you are doing. For instance, on many of the teams I have played on I find myself motivated by the kid who is out there working their butt off and going above and beyond what is asked of them. By holding them selves to a higher standard they makes you also want to hold your self to a higher standard.  I would be willing to argue that actions are the most powerful form of rhetoric. It takes my back to that age old saying "Action speak louder that word".

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. You very diplomatically agree with the authors at the same time you explain that their claim isn't the ONLY way to look at rhetoric. And you give some good examples of nonverbal communication.
    I tend to think that rhetoric is by no means primarily verbal - I think a lot of what goes on in human communication has nothing to do with words at all. But I do agree that it's probably the more recognized part of rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete